Story by Rosemary Freitas Williams, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Military Community and Family Policy
What is the first thing you think of when you hear the words moving, relocation or PCS? Packing, boxes, stress, hassle, kids arguing in the back seat of a car during a cross-country trip? MWR – Morale, Welfare and Recreation – probably doesn’t even make the top 10.
I will be honest: moving is rarely hassle-free. One thing is for certain, it takes a lot of planning and coordination. But, it doesn’t have to be all work and no play. That’s where MWR comes in.
I’d like to suggest a few ways you can add MWR to your next move.
- Information, Tickets and Tours – Your installation ITT office has tickets and information on all those local attractions you have been meaning to visit but never found the time to. Make time now, before it’s too late. ITT has low prices on nearby fun for the whole family, including sporting events, theme parks and local attractions.
- Outdoor Recreation and Equipment Rentals – Nature abounds. Rent a kayak, a backpack or even camping equipment for an overnight or weekend trip. Stay active, bond with your family and have a little outdoor fun even if your belongings are already packed.
- Fitness Centers – Moving doesn’t have to mean giving up on your fitness goals. Visit your installation’s fitness facilities right up to the day you move for a little stress-relieving exercise, including specialized fitness classes, cardio and strength equipment or pool time with your family.
- Recreational, hotel and resort lodging – Turn your PCS into a family vacation. You can even weave a little adventure into your family’s trip by stopping at one of the Best Kept Secrets for a night or two. Locations are scattered around the country and offer a little something for everyone, from coastal cottages to RV hookups. Prefer something a little less rustic? Military hotel and resort lodging is available around the world from Disney World’s® Shades of Green Resort to the Dragon Hill Lodge in Seoul, South Korea.
- Libraries – Yes, libraries. You won’t have to worry about overdue library fees when you use the suite of resources available through the DoD MWR Library Resources program. This online library is available anywhere you have Internet access and offers everything from information on auto repair and stock reports to audio books and cultural information. Keep everyone in the family engaged while you are passing the miles. Installation libraries also offer computer access — perfect for researching your new community or keeping up with schoolwork or job networking.
Start planning your next move by checking out the information and connections on Military OneSource’s Morale, Welfare and Recreation page. You can also find out what’s available at your new installation or installations you’ll pass along the way by visiting MilitaryINSTALLATIONS.
Moving is a part of military life, and while it’s certainly a busy time, MWR can make the experience more comfortable and even add adventure to it, whether you’re surrounded by boxes or crossing state lines in the family car.
Disclaimer: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the Department of Defense of this website or the information, products or services contained therein. For other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare and Recreation sites, the Department of Defense does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations. Such links are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this DoD website.
Check out these other posts: